This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Learn more x

TalkingNutrition

Providing perspectives on recent research into vitamins and nutritionals

WFP-James_Giambrone_2030

Helping Those with the Greatest Nutritional Needs

By Michael McBurney

DSM extends its partnership with the World Food Programme for another 3 years. Having already helped 25 million people annually, the public-private partnership that began in 2007 will continue providing essential vitamins, nutrients and fortified rice to pregnant and nursing women and young children.

Good nutrition in the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s second birthday sets the foundation for all days that follow. Undernutrition is responsible for almost half (45%) of all child deaths under five years of life.

Being overweight or obese does not imply that people are eating nutritious foods. Many people live with hidden hunger, a chronic shortage of vital nutrients. 69% of American adults are overweight, including obesity.

Although 34% of US women 20-39y are overweight, almost 1 in 5 of these women (17%) have a high risk of vitamin C deficiency (blood vitamin C concentration <23 µmol/L).  Mexican-American and non Hispanic black women (20-49y) are ~2-times more likely to be iron deficient than non-Hispanic white women (6% from Fig H.3.a). Using a combination of low serum ferritin, high serum soluble transferrin receptor, and low serum body iron, the prevalence of iron deficiency is approximately, 13%, 19%, and 10%, respectively (Fig H.3.b). Clearly, many women in the United States are not adequately nourished.

When designing public health programs, research suggests women in the greatest need of iron supplementation may not be receiving them. An observation consistent with the fact that supplements are most needed by those who are not using them.

I am proud to be working for a company committed to bringing nutrients to those in need.

Main Citation

Callander EJ, Schofield DJ. Is there a mismatch between who gets iron supplementation and who needs it? A cross-sectional study of iron supplements, iron deficiency anemia and socioeconomic status in Australia. 2015 Br J Nutr doi: 10.1017/S0007114515004912

Other Citations

Shields M, Carroll MD, Ogden CL. Adult obesity prevalence in Canada and the United States. 2011 NCHS Data Brief No 56, March

2012 CDC’s Second Nutrition Report

Dickinson A, MacKay D. Health habit and other characteristics of dietary supplement users: a review. 2014 Nutr J doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-13-14


Logo