I’m currently working on...
Further exploration of our most successful emulsifier, AMPHISOL® K. During this project, I found liquid-crystalline structures in the emulsion using Transmission Electron Microscopy which have not yet been identified. These structures could be linked to the outstanding stabilizing performance of AMPHISOL K for oils, salts and pigments. I’m also currently working on Hair Care projects, specifically on conditioning polymers with TILAMAR® QUAT and with TILAMAR FIX.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
The complexity of emulsions. I’m fascinated by finding structure-related properties and how to shape their effectivity when developing tailor-made solutions.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The development of sunscreen emulsions with a pleasant skin feel. Currently, sunscreens are oily and sticky which means that they end up not being used in the proper way. Having a pleasant skin feel would encourage people to use them correctly, which would lead to better protection from harmful UV rays.
Key areas of expertise:
- Product development (particularly Sun Care, Skin Care, Hair Care)
- UV filter evaluation
- Sunscreen formulation development
- Science of emulsions
- In vitro application test methods for cosmetic products:
- UV filter and sunscreens
- Polymers and hair care products
- Skin actives in emulsions
- M.Sc., Food Chemistry and Environmental Toxicology, University of Kaiserslautern (Germany)
I represent DSM externally at:
- DGK (The German Society of Cosmetic Chemists) Task Force 10 “Sun Protection” – Member
- ISO/TC217/WG07 Working Group (Sun Protection Test Methods) – Associated fellow