Rolf van Benthem
Macromolecular Sciences, Materials Sciences
I am currently working on...
Many different projects, including the development of new polymers and new levels of control in polymers and polymer materials (such as synthesis, processing, self-assembly, crystallization and cross-linking). I’m also involved in finding new functions for thin films and materials (including self-healing and surface-replenishing materials), and am working on sol-gel particle generation control, recycling of polymer materials, and biobased materials as well.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
Being able to design and create materials up from the molecular level to the mesoscopic level - while ensuring they have the right functionality at the macroscopic scale. I find it particularly inspiring that these materials have the potential to meet the future needs of our society in terms of properties, processing, and carbon footprint.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The ability to perform cross-link chemistry at room temperature without health risks.
Key areas of expertise:
- Chemistry of thermoset, thermoplastic, sol-gel and coatings materials
- Polymer chemistry
- Cross-linking of polymers
- Self-healing materials
- Self-cleaning surfaces
- M.Sc., Chemistry (cum laude), Leiden University (the Netherlands)
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
I represent DSM externally at:
- Coatings Science International – Organizing committee
- Top Sector Chemicals - Advanced Materials Program Board – Chairman
- Eindhoven University of Technology – Professor (Part-time)
Geleen, the Netherlands