Stanyl® for bearing cages and thrust washers
Thermoplastics offer an increasingly compelling proposition for automotive manufacturers when it comes to bearing cages and thrust washers. Stanyl® polyamide 46 offers good stiffness and creep performance at high temperatures (140°C and more) – along with excellent wear and resistance to friction; plus good ductility at cold temperatures to avoid jamming.
Stanyl also offers a significant cost reduction in comparison to PEEK (very expensive) while still meeting all your critical system requirements: Namely, lower system costs, reduced weight and less noise compared to metals.
Stanyl also helps manufacturers meet growing sustainability targets. It’s why the material was chosen by SKF Group - one of the leading global suppliers of rolling bearings, seals, mechatronics, services and lubrication systems - for a new generation of deep-groove ball bearings, designed to cut energy consumption by at least 30%.
The goal was achieved through a combination of enhancements involving the bearing, internal geometry, a new low-friction grease and a new polymer cage. The resulting reduced friction lowers operating temperatures, improves lubrication conditions, and allows the bearings to deliver a longer service life.
These next-generation ball bearings are now being used in electric motors, pumps, conveyors and fans. They can also be used in other applications such as gearboxes and compressors.
The material performance of Stanyl hasn’t just lowered energy consumption. It’s enabled the development of more efficient machinery, a higher speed rating of the bearings, and reduced operating temperature – extending the bearing life.
- Stanyl TW200F6, and TW200F8 offer excellent wear performance with low friction metal replacement solutions for thrust washers
- Stanyl TW200F6, and Akulon® polyamide 6 offer resistance to oils and stiffness at high temperatures for bearing cages applied in automatic transmission boxes
- Akulon S223-HPG5 is the only material certified for high-speed train wheel bearing cages
Links & Downloads
- Stanyl TW200F6 product information
- Stanyl TW200F8 product information
- Akulon S223-HPG5 product information