Ophthalmic biomaterials: Advanced comfort and utility
DSM has pioneered many innovative materials-based solutions to help overcome visual impairment and assure better eye health. Our specialized biomaterials help improve comfort for contact lens wearers, ease implantation of intraocular lenses (IOLs), enhance delivery of small and large molecules and advance corneal procedures.
We’ve spent more than a decade partnering with contact lens manufacturers to bring better vision to countless people. The first generation of silicone hydrogel (SiHy) lenses were introduced with support from DSM. As a result, millions of contact lens wearers today benefit from DSM technology. Meanwhile, our continued innovations in lubricious surfaces and antimicrobial technologies help reduce irritation and the ongoing threat of infection.
Drug delivery systems
Ophthalmic biopharmaceutical partners trust DSM to develop customized dosage forms that deliver both small and large compounds at specified rates and durations. Our breakthrough bioresorbable portfolio and materials science expertise allows us to design customized polymeric delivery systems offering release times from weeks to months.
Intraocular lens and corneal procedures
In recognition of the wide use of IOLs today, DSM is developing materials to enhance the ease of insertion. The result: Our unique bench-to-market approach helps our partners make new product ideas a commercial reality.
- Contact lenses
- Corneal inlays
- Drug delivery systems
Links & Downloads
- DSM ophthalmic market brochure (PDF, 516.84KB)
- ARVO 2013 poster – Slow release of intraocular drug delivery by injectable PEA microfibrils (PDF, 291.44KB)
- ARVO 2013 poster – Bioresorbable materials for ophthalmic devices (PDF, 291.98KB)
- ARVO 2013 poster – Characterization of contact lenses through oxygen permeability, equilibrium water content, and elemental analysis (PDF, 623.97KB)
- ARVO 2013 poster – Delivery of human growth hormone via DSM’s Polyesteramide (PDF, 253.26KB)