DSM has developed an innovative technology for improving the stability of medical polymers used in total joint replacement devices featuring Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE).
UHMWPE is widely used as a bearing material in total joint replacements, but because processing techniques need to encourage crosslinking, it can become susceptible to oxidative degradation, resulting in reduced performance of the implant. Thanks to DSM, there’s a way to overcome this.
Our Hindered Amine Light Stabilizer (HALS) technology offers device manufacturers an option for improving the stability of UHMWPE while maintaining its other beneficial properties – namely not interfering with crosslinking efficiency or altering the mechanical properties of the UHMWPE.
- Prolongs the life of medical devices by improving oxidative resistance
- Stabilizes UHMWPE without sacrificing its other properties
- Does not interfere with crosslink efficiency of UHMWPE
- Maintains UHMWPE’s natural color
- Articulating joints such as total hip, knee, ankle and shoulder implants