Orthopedics: Advanced materials for orthopedic solutions
Replacing and restoring joints
Orthopedic surgeons count on the use of DSM biomaterials for a wide range of orthopedic applications. We produce materials and products for use in joint repair and replacement, ACL reconstruction, and rotator cuff, cartilage and meniscus repair. Many medical device manufacturers use our polymers to give their products exceptional strength, biostability and improved clinical performance. This makes DSM the partner-of-choice when these customers develop next-generation devices.
Structural support and tissue repair
Our breadth of experience and technologies fulfill a broad spectrum of spine surgery needs. By developing products from both synthetic resorbable polymers, medical ceramics and naturally derived collagen, we can produce custom materials for specific clinical applications. Additionally, we create adhesion barriers from collagen or polymer-based thin sheets and we add strengthening technology to extruded polymer parts to make resorbable plates and screws. These devices are strong enough to replace metal components in certain applications.
For craniomaxillofacial (CMF) surgeries, our synthetic polymer, natural collagen and Extracellular Matrix (ECM) technology platforms enable us to develop tissue regeneration scaffolds that provide a hospitable environment for both hard and soft tissue repair. Whether increasing the shear strength of a mandibular fracture fixation screw or enhancing the osteoconductive behavior of a bone void filler, DSM has the material, processing know-how and experience to develop novel products that benefit both patients and physicians.
Restoring natural function
Dyneema Purity® fiber is the leading material for use in high-strength orthopedic sutures because our unique formulation provides uncompromising strength and minimizes impact on surrounding tissue. Every day, and already in millions of patients, Dyneema Purity® fiber is used in high-strength sutures to restore and preserve the body’s natural biomechanics and accelerate patient recovery.
Our materials are also instrumental in various spinal procedures, where these custom-formulated, high-strength elastomeric polymers can offer a motion preserving option to fusion.
Helping device manufacturers, clinicians and patients
Medical device manufacturers also look to us for our development to commercialization engineering capability and ability to deliver customized material solutions that can assist in getting their products to market quickly. Our broad range of materials enables device manufacturers to expand their horizons when developing new innovative devices. Smaller high-strength devices allow for delivery using less invasive procedures, increasing patient comfort while decreasing recovery time and hospital stays. As a result, patients can regain mobility and normal functionality quickly and hospitals are better able to contain costs.
- Adhesion barriers
- Biomedical fibers for:
- Arthroscopic procedures
- Cerclage cables
- Ligament fixation
- Meniscus tears
- Rotator cuff damage
- Soft tissue applications
- Spinal stability
- Bone void fillers
- Extracellular Matrix (ECM) technology for soft tissue repair
- Graft containment devices
- Resorbable fixation plates and screws
- Implants for joint reconstruction (hip, knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle)
- Motion preservation devices for the spine
- Polymeric plate systems
- Spinal cages
- Spinal plates
- Total disc replacement devices
- Drug delivery systems for delivery of pain, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial drugs
Bioceramics materials and technology - More>
- Calcium phosphates (α-TCP, ß-TCP, MCPM)
- Resorbable/ceramic composites (PLA, PGA, PCL)
- Multiple configurations (powders, granules, porous shapes, settable pastes, settable putties, anorganic bone)
Collagen materials and technology - More>
- Purified collagen
- Solution and slurry processing
- Collagen blending and compounding
- Multiple configurations (sheets, putties, injectables, gels, three dimensional shapes, coatings, fibers, and powders)
Polymers and metals processing technology - More>
- Resorbable materials [Polylactide (PLA), Polylactide-co-glycolide (PLGA), Polycaprolactone (PCL), Polycarbonate (e.g. TMC)]
- Non resorbable materials (PEEK, TPU)
- Implant-grade metals ( titanium, stainless steel)