The flexibility of our organization allows our interventions to range from the immediate provision of micronutrient supplements for individuals caught up in emergencies such as and natural disasters to support for sustainable mandatory national fortification programs. Between these two poles lies another primary objective: that of helping local stakeholders meet the nutritional needs of their own communities by encouraging new forms of business development through local partnerships.
In line with its position in the developed world our involvement in North America focuses on:
- Close cooperation with a number of key stakeholders to improve the nutritional value of a variety of foods donated from US government and other organizations;
- Awareness-raising to keep the importance of nutrition and micronutrients on the agendas of these key stakeholders;
- Cooperation with US industry partners to achieve local solutions for North America itself but also developing countries.
Many countries in Latin America have made huge progress in improving the nutritional status of their populations. NIP contributes by:
- Placing our technical and scientific know-how at the disposal of governments in countries such as Chile and Costa Rica, who are rolling out programs for mandatory fortification of staples like rice, flour or sugar;
- Supporting initiatives to improve nutrition through school feeding, as in Colombia, or through individual or institutional fortification of ready-to-eat meals in countries such as Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti and Peru by providing micronutrient powders tailored to their needs;
- Developing solutions together with industry partners, health authorities and other organizations, especially to improve the nutrition of pregnant and lactating mothers and their babies to promote early child development.
In Africa we have an extensive network of partnerships with government bodies, organizations and industry partners. The continent is one of our key regions, where we are active in many different ways:
- Together with our partners we promote nutrition interventions that are as diverse as the nutrition situation in each region. Staple food fortification, especially for wheat, rice and sugar, is high on the agendas of governments. Our specialists have supported the South African authorities, for example, in the design and implementation of mandatory fortification of maize and wheat flour which was implemented in 2003;
- We supply micronutrient powders for individual or institutional fortification, fortified blended foods and school feeding programs;
- Together with local companies we develop new inclusive business models. As part of our partnerships with USAID and the World Food Programme we develop local food production capacities and increase the nutritional value of products to comply with UN standards;
- Further, we share expertise and hence contribute to the development of local capacities.
Our involvement in Asia reflects the diversity of its regions, which include dynamic emerging economies and areas of intense poverty prone to natural disasters:
- We have regional managers in India and China as well as in Singapore for the Asia Pacific countries, including Indonesia and Thailand, where we concentrate on rice and flour fortification;
- In other countries, like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, we work on targeted supplementation programs with micronutrient powders, fortified blended foods or lipid-based nutritional supplements;
- Everywhere we partner with local stakeholders to develop inclusive new business models and support the development and marketing of locally produced products with a higher nutritional value affordable for people with low incomes.