This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Learn more x

Dalry: The last Western plant producing vitamin C

Our Dalry site sits in an idylic rural setting on a 570,000 m2 site near the west coast of Scotland. It’s the only vitamin manufacturer left in the western world and has been making vitamins since 1958.
Factory in the background and sheep in the foreground

Dalry is the only western-based production site where guaranteed high-quality vitamin C is produced in a traceable and reliable way for all product forms. Thea site spans 190,000 m2 of roads and buildings and a total floor area of 70,000 m2. Our technical qualifications are complemented by an excellent global distribution network using our own people rather than a third-party distributor.

Quality assurance

Quality is one of the most important features of our Dalry site. We operate an effective Quality System throughout the factory, which defines the procedures used by different departments. The Quality System is regularly audited to ensure it continues to meet the increasing demands of the business. Furthermore we’ve introduced better sales and marketing services to understand customer needs better.

Health and safety

Our Dalry site is committed to protecting the health and safety of its employees and neighbors, and all activities on the site are covered by detailed safety procedures which are strictly enforced (employees and contractors regularly attend safety training courses to keep safety awareness high).

We established a DSM-Dalry Community Liaison Group in 1995 with the aim of triggering a dialogue to provide mutual awareness and understanding of what happens ‘on the other side of the factory fence’. This initiative has been very successful, and the group continues to meet regularly.

Support for local neighborhood projects is a feature of DSM’s community involvement which includes charity, educational and health-related initiatives that benefit local people.

Historical development

The Dairy site was developed in three phases. From 1958 to 1972, vitamin A and some associated products were produced in a small dedicated plant. In 1971, the site was expanded to produce Thiamine (vitamin B1) and Calcium-D-Pantothenate (vitamin B5) in large-scale dedicated plants. In 1979, construction of the company’s largest single production plant for vitamin C began. By 1984, the Dalry site was supplying vitamin C to the food, pharmaceutical and feed industries worldwide.

Since then, further expansion and modernization has followed. A new waste water treatment plant was built in 2001, followed by a major expansion of vitamin C production in 2002-2003. The Dalry site became part of DSM in 2003. In 2006, in accordance with DSM’s philosophy of Manufacturing Excellence, we established a central control room at the site.

Logo