SunRISE TechBridge Challenge winners announced by DSM, Fraunhofer TechBridge and Greentown Labs
56 teams applied to the SunRISE TechBridge Challenge, and based on a multi-stage review process we are pleased to announce the following winners and awards:
- ARL-D (Manhattan, NY) - DSM Partnership eligibility. ARL-D is commercializing a superhydrophobic technology with anti-reflective, anti-soiling, and anti-icing properties.
- HEE Solar (Dallas, TX) - Greentown Launch acceleration and DSM Partnership/Investment eligibility. HEE Solar is developing perovskite photovoltaic technology, made stable to achieve long lifetimes.
- QD Solar (Toronto, Canada) - Greentown Launch acceleration and DSM Partnership/Investment eligibility. QD Solar is developing next generation photovoltaic cells using colloidal quantum dot cell technology.
- Tessolar (Cambridge, MA) - Fraunhofer Validation Study, Greentown Launch acceleration, and DSM Partnership/Investment eligibility. Tessolar's novel module design that targets reduction in module and balance of system costs.
- WattGlass Inc. (Fayetville, AR) - Greentown Launch acceleration and DSM Partnership/Investment eligibility. WattGlass is commercializing the next generation of antireflective glass coatings that also have self-cleaning and anti-fogging properties.
Award details are as follows:
Greentown Launch acceleration & incubation program at Greentown Labs Award
The awardees will receive desk and lab space at Greentown Labs in Somerville, MA, sponsored by DSM, and will enroll in the Greentown Launch program. This will provide the awardees with relevant knowledge, tools, networking and coaching to accelerate their business, and will facilitate collaboration with DSM and other entrepreneurs and corporates in the cleantech community in the Greater Boston area.
Fraunhofer Validation Study Award
The awardee will receive a validation project with the Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems CSE in Boston, MA, sponsored by DSM. Through this award, the awardee can access the global technical testing services from the Fraunhofer R&D network, thereby accelerating the technology development of the awardee. DSM, Fraunhofer CSE, and the awardee will jointly tailor the validation project.
DSM Partnership / Venture Investment Eligibility Award
The awardees will work closely with DSM and (if applicable) its dedicated venturing entity (DSM Venturing) determining key milestones in the winner's technology and business roadmap, and investigate possible opportunities for collaboration during a time-boxed evaluation project in the second half of 2016.
About Fraunhofer TechBridge and the SunRISE Partners
Launched at Fraunhofer CSE in 2010, the Fraunhofer TechBridge program identifies and de-risks promising technologies to solve industry challenges. By performing targeted technical searches and conducting validation and demonstration work, TechBridge evaluates and prepares innovative early-stage products for investors and industry.
The Fraunhofer USA Center for Sustainable Energy Systems CSE is an applied research and development laboratory dedicated to building tomorrow's energy future today. Our staff's expertise in solar photovoltaics, smart energy-efficient buildings, and grid technologies provides a platform for deeply integrating distributed energy resources through collaborative R&D with private companies, government entities, and academic institutions. Fraunhofer CSE is one of seven centers of Fraunhofer USA, a 501(c)(3) non-profit contract R&D organization, a subsidiary of Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Europe's largest contract R&D organization.
About Greentown Labs
Greentown Labs is a community of bold, passionate entrepreneurs creating game-changing energy technologies that transform the way we live, work and play. Located in Somerville, MA, Greentown Labs is the largest cleantech incubator in the United States, operating a 40,000 sq. ft. facility that enables entrepreneurs to solve today's biggest energy and environmental problems. Greentown Labs hosts a constant stream of events and programs for the cleantech community and tours more than 5,000 visitors from around the world each year. Its mission is to enable a vibrant community of entrepreneurs to realize their visions by providing access to the space, resources, and funding needed to thrive.