I am currently working on...
The development and testing of a methodology to judge and rank a (chemical) synthesis route - not just from an economic perspective (the most cost-effective route); but also in terms of what this means for our ecological footprint. We’ve been working on this in collaboration with R&D colleagues from large pharmaceutical companies, within the framework of the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® Pharmaceutical Roundtable.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
The development of breakthrough synthetic (chemical) routes for molecules that are relevant to Life Sciences and Material Sciences. These are molecules with a functionality, and are made by innovative and cost-effective processes that deliver the lowest possible (carbon) footprint. The translation and use of these principles to support the growth of the emerging bio-based economy gives me huge energy.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The early phase development (in the route scouting process) for an objective and “easy-to-use” methodology that compares chemical and fermentative routes – based on either fossil, or bio-based raw materials, or recycled “end-of-life” products. For this to happen, the elements that need to be predictable are: The manufacturing cost price of the molecular product; adequate prediction of overall R&D costs; reliable estimate of (carbon or eco) footprint of product/process; and an estimate of the likelihood of generating IP on the breakthrough concept being proposed.
Key areas of expertise:
- Organic chemistry
- Route scouting & assessment
- Chemo catalysis
- Bio-based chemistry
- M.Sc., Organic Chemistry, University of Groningen (the Netherlands)
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Groningen (the Netherlands)
I represent DSM externally at:
- VNCI (The Association of the Dutch Chemical Industry) – Representative in the Innovation Policy Group (BGI)
- Topconsortia voor Kennis en Innovatie (TKI) – Representative at the Program Council for Chemistry, Process Technology and Synthesis (currently writing a roadmap for the field to enable PPPs in this field)
- NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research) – Member of PPS Council
- Isobionics – R&D Director (part-time)
- Enzypep – Strategy Advisor (part-time)
- Green Chemistry Journal – Member of the Advisory Board
- ChimicaOggi/ChemistryToday journal – Member of the Editorial Board
Geleen, the Netherlands