Macromolecular Sciences, Materials Sciences
I am currently working on...
Developing polymers for coatings with special optic and feel properties; as well as polymers from biorenewable monomers and safe self-crosslinking dispersions.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
Our ever-increasing degree of control over the polymer architectures, which enables the development of new applications, safer products - and can help reduce the amount of energy needed. The really exciting part is seeing a breakthrough new technology like this in the marketplace, especially when it reduces our eco-footprint.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The development of sustainable polymers made from biorenewable sources, which are safe to use and much more durable than those we use today.
Key areas of expertise:
- Synthesis and structure-property relationships of polymer colloids
- (Controlled) radical polymerization
- Polyurethanes and polycondensates, especially waterborne
- Hybrid technology
- Cross-linking of polymers at ambient conditions
- Application of polymer technology to coatings, inks and adhesives
- Environmentally friendly coatings
- Organic Chemistry, University of Utrecht (the Netherlands), worked at ICI and Zeneca on aqueous dispersion technology prior to joining DSM.
- M.Sc., Chemistry (cum laude), Utrecht University (the Netherlands)
Waalwijk, the Netherlands