DSM was established in 1902 by the Dutch government to mine coal reserves in the Southern Province of Limburg. To this day we continue to use the English translation of the company's original name, the Nederlandse Staatsmijnen (Dutch State Mines), signifying both our heritage and how far we’ve come in just over a century.
How did we transform over the years from Dutch coal miners to a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials?
In fact, DSM’s diversification began as early as 1919 with the opening of a cokery. Post-1945 this diversification into bulk chemicals and petrochemicals accelerated so that by the time the last mine closed in 1973 DSM was a chemical company.
Since the 1990s, during which the company was fully privatised, DSM transformed itself again, selling almost all of its commodity chemicals activities and becoming a global science-based company delivering innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance.
- DSM announced to acquire the Erber Group, a company specialized in animal nutrition & health businesses.
- DSM acquires the world's leading supplier of Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMO) for early life nutrition applications.
- DSM expands in India with the acquisition of SRF Ltd.’s Specialty Materials business
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. completed the acquisition of Patheon N.V., a company in which DSM held approximately 48.7 million ordinary shares, realizing total proceeds of approximately €2 billion.
- DSM is named leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index Materials Sector, having been named among the global leaders in each of the last 13 years and number one on seven occasions.
- DSM and WFP reconfirm their partnership to combat global malnutrition.
- DSM announces its 'Strategy 2018: Driving Profitable Growth' to capture the full potential of the portfolio created and translate this into improved financial results, focusing on organic sales growth, reducing costs and strict capital allocation.
- DSM and CVC Capital Partners finalize their partnership, ChemicaInvest, for DSM’s Polymer Intermediates and Composite Resins, a decisive step in further optimizing the company’s portfolio.
- POET-DSM Advanced Biofuels, LLC, a joint venture of Royal DSM and POET, LLC, opened the first commercial-scale cellulosic ethanol plant in the U.S.
- Royal DSM and JLL Partners create a joint venture, DPx Holdings (now Patheon N.V.), combining Patheon Inc. with the pharmaceutical assets of DSM.
- DSM acquires Tortuga, the Brazilian market leader in organic trace minerals for animal nutrition and health.
- DSM acquires Fortitech and strengthens its human nutrition business to become a full solutions provider in food ingredient blends.
- DSM acquires Ocean Nutrition Canada and expands its Nutritional Lipids growth platform.
- DSM acquires Kensey Nash and strengthens its biomedical business.
- DSM and Sinochem Group establish global anti-infectives joint venture, DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals.
- DSM acquires Martek; adding a new Nutrition growth platform focused on Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs).
- DSM marks its transformation with new brand, Bright Science. Brighter Living.™