Born out of the need for a more eco-friendly product after stricter emissions regulations, Akulon® Fuel Lock emerged as a functional replacement for the HDPE materials commonly used for small-engine fuel tanks.
DSM Engineering Plastics continues to offer many cutting-edge products that meet the needs of the ever-changing global community. Akulon Fuel Lock is just one of those products, emerging as the perfect material for use in small-engine fuel tanks.
In the 1990s, stricter guidelines for reducing the evaporative emissions of small off-road equipment were instituted by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). With other countries preparing to follow suit, DSM saw an opportunity to make an environmental impact in the outdoor power equipment (OPE) industry, leading to the 2011 launch of our Fuel Lock products.
Today, leading global manufacturers have trusted Akulon for years, and the third-generation technology continues to deliver superior performance versus HDPE.
- Tanks with 2 mm wall thickness molded from Akulon® Fuel Lock perform at exceptionally low evaporative emission rate of 80% below the U.S. EPA and CARB regulation limits
- Supports sustainable practices by avoiding fluorination, a traditional barrier technology for high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- High impact resistance at cold temperature to -40°C
- Offers the ability to design thinner-wall fuel tanks that reduce weight material while increasing fuel capacity
- Utilizes standard injection molding and blow molding tools and machines