Key facts & figures

Royal DSM is a global purpose-led, science-based company in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living. DSM’s purpose is to create brighter lives for all. With its products and solutions DSM addresses some of the world’s biggest challenges whilst creating simultaneously economic, environmental and societal value for all its stakeholders; customers, employees, shareholders, and society-at-large. DSM delivers innovative solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company was founded in 1902 and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.

A broad, global nutrition business and a focused, high-quality, specialty materials portfolio

~€10b
Sales per year

~70%
In nutrition

~20%
Sales from innovation

~23,000
Employees

Nutrition

We provide nutritional solutions for animal health and human well-being, serving the global feed, food & beverage, pharmaceutical, infant nutrition, dietary supplements and personal care industries.

Animal Nutrition & Health

2019
Sales: ↑€2,892 (2018: €2,749)
Organic Growth: ↑4%
Volume Growth: ↑2%
Price Growth: ↑2%

Human Nutrition

2019
Sales: ↑€2,046 (2018: €1,989)
Organic Growth: ↓1%
Volume Growth: ↑2%
Price Growth: ↓3%

Food Specialties

2019
Sales: ↑€572 (2018: €490)
Sales: ↑17%
Organic Growth: ↑4

Personal Care

2019
Sales: ↑€425 (2018: €382)
Sales: ↑11%
Organic Growth: ↑9%

Sales1
€6,028m

Adjusted EBITDA1
€1,250M

Adjusted EBITDA Margin1
20.7%

1) Underlying business, net of temporary vitamin effect

Materials

Advanced and high-performance materials for the electrical & electronics, automotive, packaging, consumer goods, life protection, transportation and telecom industries.

DSM Engineering Materials

2019
Sales: ↓€1,406 (2018: €1,516)
Organic Growth: ↓10%

DSM Protective Materials

2019
Sales: ↓€338 (2018: €344)
Organic Growth: ↓4%

DSM Resins

2019
Sales: ↓€1,002 (2018: €1,053)
Organic Growth: ↓6%

Sales
€2,746M

Adjusted EBITDA
€509M

Adjusted EBITDA Margin
18.5%

Key facts 2019

We're a global leader in nutrition, active over full value chains serving local markets in 60 countries. Our unique and diverse portfolio combined with transformatinal capability enable us to the capability to respond to market needs, communities and people.
 

People 2019

Workforce

22,174

Year end 2019, excl. affiliates

Engagement

74%

Employee engagement favorable score with 92% response rate (76% in 2018)

Gender ratio

28/72

Female/male ratio (28/72 in 2018)

Safety

0.28

Frequency Index of Recordable Injuries per 100 employees & contractors (0.33 in 2018)

Female exec.

20%

Female executives (19% in 2018)

Planet 2019

Greenhouse gasses

~17%

GHG scope 1 + 2 reduction –
cumulative structural
improvement1 versus ~8%
in 2018 (baseline 2016)

Purchased electricity

50%

Purchased electricity
from renewable sources
versus 41% in 2018

Energy Efficiency

2.3%

Energy efficiency
improvement year on year
versus 1.4% in 2018

1) We estimate that the effect of the underlying cumulative structural improvements in absolute GHG emissions was approximately 17% and 8% in 2019 and 2018 respectively, versus the 2016 baseline. The total cumulative absolute reduction was 25% and 18% respectively, versus the 2016 baseline.

Profit 2019

Net
Sales

€9,010m

2018: €8,8521

Adjusted EBITDA

€1,684m2

2018: €1,5321

Adj EBITDA
Growth

+10%2

versus 20181

Adj net operating
free cash flow

€8012

2018: €5451

Adj net operating
free cash flow growth

+ 47%2

versus 20181

Innovation Sales

21%

ambition ~20%

Net
Profit

€764m

2018: €1,0793

Net
Earnings

€4.27

2018: €6.103

Adj Net
Earnings

€4.64

2018: €5.84

Proposed Dividend4

€2.40

2017: €1.85

1) Excludng temporary vitamin effect in 2018 of €415 million sales and €290 million (Adjusted) EBITDA.
2) Including the impact of IFRS 16.
3) 2018 includes the temporary vitamin effect and the book profit on the sale of DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals.
4) Subject to approval by the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders.

Latest financial & regulatory news

Leadership team

Read more

  • Why invest in DSM

    DSM is positioned to drive continued above market organic growth and deliver further improvement in profitability, shareholder return and sustainability as we execute Strategy 2021.

  • Factbooks

    An introduction for investors and analysts to DSM, our Nutrition, Materials and Innovation Center clusters and our businesses.

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Learn more